Tuesday, May 13

My favourite cup and squash with chicken


This is, or at least was, my favourite tea cup. It had had this little crack in it for quite a while until one day I noticed there was another one, too. Over time they both got deeper and deeper and then yesterday I was a little too careless and broke it accidently. It really was my very favourite cup. Pyy. I guess I'll just have to find a new one.

This post is, in fact, fairly old by now. I began to write it on tuesday but didn't have time to finish it and for many days after tuesday I've been rather busy doing all sorts of other things. But now I'm here again with unexpectedly huge amounts of time to do nothing. And I thought I'll be baking all evening! Well, I'll show you the butternut squash and chicken recipe, then, which I think is quite good compared to many other things I've made up. I made it again for dinner on tuesday, because I think Herkku won't have butternut squashes again in a long while.


Okay, let's see then. This is easy as hell, I know you can do it.

Butternut Squash with Chicken
For 2 people, unless you are huge men.

You'll need:
1/2 butternut squash, about half a kilo, cut to about one inch pieces
olive oil, maybe 1 tablespoon
one red onion, chopped
chicken, about 300 grams, I don't know*
salt and pepper
thyme (optional)

Here's how to do it:

Heat the olive oil in a pan and throw in the onion. Turn the heat to medium low and cook until softened (be careful, they Do burn if the heat is too high and if you don't keep an eye on them). Set aside on a plate.

If the pan seems like it's never even seen any olive oil, add some more and heat it. Put the chicken pieces into the pan and cook until cooked through, about, hmm, 10 minutes or so. Set aside on a plate.

Next, warm the pan again and put the squash squares into the pan. Make sure they don't overlap, because then some pieces won't brown nor cook equally. On medium heat, brown the pieces on all sides (or at least some of the sides). This will take about half an hour. Make sure the pieces are soft and throughly cooked and if they're still hard after the half an hour, do cook them a little bit longer. I'm not really so exact with the clock, and they Will be better if they really are cooked through. And be patient, this Will take some time. Meanwhile, make a salad or something.

When the squash is cooked, insert the onion and the chicken into the pan. Season with salt and pepper and add the thyme or what ever it is that you want to use. Stir so that everything is mixed and heat a little so that the onions and chicken will be warm and nice, too.



The yellow thing in the green cup is the thing you're making.

Oh, might be worth to tell you that this is the first recipy I've ever written, so if you think it needs something more or you can't understand all the parts, please feel free to tell me about it. I'd really appreciate it.

Tuesday afternoon we were at Saara with Sanna. Café Saara is my new favourite, they serve café au lait the right way and they have a piano there, too. And some fabulous-looking cakes! I've never had the courage to actually play the piano, not until last tuesday. While I played Sanna drew a picture of me (the one up there). She's such a sweety, she really is. I really like the picture, too.

I'm getting a little nervous about tomorrow already. I hope it won't rain!


*I used the honey marinated readypacked things you get from all the shops around here. I'm quite sure you know what I mean. And, um, if you are doubling this, I don't know if it really needs 600 grams, probably not.

No comments: